Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm really cool...because I drive a convertible.

The title of my blog was meant to be ironic--but i kinda feel like revisiting something I talked about yesterday, which is my convertible. As I said, I have a convertible and make good use of it--the only time I'm in my car and the top is up is if a.) it's after dark and I'm driving in a bad part of Venice or b.) it's raining. But since a.) I don't smoke crack and b.) it rains like, never, the roof usually comes off when I'm at the wheel. The only thing is, what's so great about having a convertible is also kind of what's not so great about it. It's really nice to be able to get a tan and feel the wind in my hair (when it's breezy out--it's rare that anyone gets to go fast enough on an LA freeway to actually create a draft) and to share my latest pirated mashup single with nearby motorists--instead of feeling trapped inside this metal and glass cage every day for hours at a time. However, the downside is that there's no "protective barrier" between me and the rest of the outside world that I come upon as I'm driving. I've found that the "Sorry, I don't have any change," excuse isn't quite so effective in repelling a homeless person who can see your open ashtray overflowing with quarters and dimes and other shiny objects. The Harley Davidson's that thunder past you whenever you are least expecting it--with engines that are so loud and so quick and they get thisclose to your car--that I'm convinced my first heart attack will be caused by a member of the Hell's Angels. (Ironically, it was a member of the Hell's Angels which my mother claims sent her to the hospital for the first time ever due to "chest pains," but we'd driven to my parent's house in my car so...he wasn't on his bike or anything.)

Okay, I promise never to mention the kind of car I drive ever again. That subject has been fullly exhausted and beaten to death. I promise, no more references will be made by me about my vehicle in any future blog unless it's to talk about the fact that I don't have one anymore, and how much cooler I am because of the new model of car I drive.

1 comment:

ctrl-freak said...

Couple things --

1. What sort of shields are you wearing whilst driving? If you are going to forgo the sanctuary of a roof, you need some serious eyewear. Avoiding eye contact is the key to successful isolation from the masses.

2. Hide your overflowing change with an empty cardboard "sheath", the kind that protects chewing gum these days. You know, a simple TridentWhite box tossed over the ashtray does it for me.